The United States Constitution guarantees the right to legal representation in a criminal trial but does not extend a similar right to people facing civil legal issues. Civil legal aid assures fairness for all in the justice system, providing access to legal help to Delaware’s most vulnerable populations – people who are poor, people with significant disabilities, people who are elderly, children, victims of violence, and veterans.
Since 1999, the Combined Campaign for Justice (CCJ) has been a coordinated approach to fundraising to support Delaware’s three nonprofit legal aid agencies (CLASI, DVLS, LSCD), ensuring statewide and coordinated legal representation to:
- Reduce domestic violence by helping victims obtain protective orders;
- Prevent homelessness by defending eviction and foreclosure actions;
- Eradicate housing discrimination through enforcement of state and federal housing discrimination laws;
- Advocate for the rights of children with significant disabilities in their schools and communities, and with the government agencies that serve them;
- Protect disadvantaged people with consumer cases that involve exploitation and fraud.
Your generous support for the Combined Campaign for Justice is one of the best ways to help provide critical and necessary civil legal assistance for low-income and disadvantage Delawareans. Your tax deductible donation will help improve lives.
This great video demonstrates the profound impact of legal aid: